Thursday, August 02, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Not...telling...you...anything...about...what...happens!!

ha ha ha!

But anyway, a quick, entertaining and easy read, with what I thought was quite a populist ending.

Before I read this Harry book, I was discussing JK Rowling with my Ma In Law, who is a School librarian. We'd read an article criticising JK's writing (ie that it's not very good compared with the writing of other child classics). I have to say, there were moments where the writing seemed a bit Ludlum-ish, spelling out things instead of painting the picture for you, e.g.: "It was chaos!!". I hadn't really paid much attention to JK's writing before, and the story is usually engaging enough that you don't notice. Not sure if that says something about the plot or not? But we agreed in the end that anything that keeps kids reading is good.

* It's a bit silly, as my child is too young to watch movies or read on his own, but in my mind I've started partitioning books and films into:
a) ones I can watch with him or he can read himself one day soon
and
b) ones he can't watch/read until he's 15 or so
(ie children's versus grown up books/films)
Never used to discriminate. I suppose my brain is working out what I might do if I ever have much time to myself versus things I'll do with my son.

No comments: