Tuesday, March 10, 2009

kids books

I was sad to read last week that Kilmeny Niland had died. As a kid, I had quite a few books illustrated by her and her twin sister Deborah*, most memorably Tell me a Tale, Haunts and Taunts, and Pancakes and Painted Eggs. These books were quite thick and full of a variety of stories, factual articles about traditions around the world, songs and poems, all with imaginative illustrations.

Some kids books stay in your mind all your life. Here are some of my favourite books from childhood that I still have (click to embiggen the pictures).

123-1

123-4 123-9

1,2,3: this was actually my brother’s book, but I always loved and still love the graphic design by Brian Wildsmith. The simplicity and the rich colours are beautiful.

p1030157

abear2 abear3

Alison and the Bear: obviously I liked this one because it was about me! Or if not me, another little girl called Alison, who, despite everyone saying she can’t do it, goes out and captures a bear, using only peanut butter sandwiches. It has wonderful simple crayon-y illustrations that are very effective despite being mostly back and white. I only recently noticed that on the back, it notes that “This is a non-sexist children’s book, published by the Women's Movement Children's Literature Co-Operative”. Strange to think there was a time when an effort had to be made (though maybe with princess culture reasserting itself, it’s time for another round).

cock1


cock2 p1030154


The Cock with the Golden Comb: this was one of four books that I had which were published in the USSR. They were about A4 sized and printed on cheap paper with no covers, and the back page was all in Russian. I have no idea how we got them. The writing was a bit stilted and had the quality of being a literal rather than literary translation. But as you can see, the illustrations were fantastic. The Cock with the Golden Comb one is a retelling of a singing rooster that is able to produce cakes and bread from a magical hand mill, and thereby brings good fortune and plenty to eat to a young brother and sister, and saves them from the wicked tsar.

kandiki1

Another of these Soviet books was Life with Granny Kandiki : traditional stories from the far north of Russia, about talking bears, ravens that rescued babies, and why arctic hares have black tips on their ears, amongst other things.

kandiki2


My favourite of the Soviet books was The Brave Ant. Unfortunately I’ve lost this one, it had the grooviest illustrations of them all (think lots of green and tan and lime-yellow, and big loopy-psychedelic pictures of stylised ants). It was also the most propaganda-esque – it was all about the virtues of collectivism and how the ants working together managed to save the ant colony from being washed away by a flood. The ants called each other Comrade.

jessie
The Triumph of Jessie and Laura: this was given to my mum for her 10th birthday. It’s one of many in the genre of ‘plucky orphan girl dreams of being ballerina, suffers many setbacks, fate intervenes and makes her A Star!” That genre seems to have completely died – maybe ballet’s not such a popular vehicle for stardom in the age of Australia Idol? Or perhaps orphans aren’t as cool as they used to be? From memory, Jessie was the dancer and Laura wanted to be a writer. Laura also had consumption so spent a lot of time lying about coughing and bravely sacrificing her writerly earnings for ballet shoes instead of spending them on medicine. There was also some sort of wicked uncle and a kindly old anonymous gentleman who married Laura at the end. In fact, this is why the Non-Sexist Children's book was invented.

What were your favourite books as a kid?

*Australian literary trivia #7692: Deborah and Kilmeny Niland are the daughters of writers Ruth Park (The Harp in the South) and D’Arcy Niland (The Shiralee).

4 comments:

meririsa said...

Ooh - "The Brave Ant" rings a bell, but I can't really remember anything but the title. My parents kept a whole lot of our kids books, and a couple of xmas's ago, my brother and I went through them and divvied them up between us. We had lots of "ooh - I remember this one!" moments. It's quite eerie being reunited with books from so long ago. We are reading many of them to E-chan. We have some that are very dated in their gender representations, but others that are pretty cool. There are some that are pretty moralistic, which is funny to read as an adult (e.g. The Elephant and the Bad Baby"). I might scan some and do a post on them soon too...

J said...

"maybe ballet’s not such a popular vehicle for stardom in the age of Australia Idol? Or perhaps orphans aren’t as cool as they used to be?" lol! Yes there do seem to be fewer plucky orphans about these days.

Love this post. Totally timely for me as I found an old Girls Annual in my collection and felt like I'd rediscovered the roots of graphic novels and zines. Those Girls' own Annuals were kind of cool!

Will definitely respond to the post soon with pics and stories of the couple I have on my shelves from childhood.

BSharp said...

great scans Alison! Hey this makes me sad that my actual book collection is stored in several boxes around Australia - I love a good children's book! have a dim memory of Dad teaching a class on them for senior english (yr 12) when i was still small enough to be enjoying them the first time round (or maybe it was my sister) - but he annually raided our collection, and I was always keen to know which ones the 'big kids' liked best.

J said...

Hey also, you may like this, very sweet, very brief blog, which highlights the childrens book artworks of Jane Flory here:
http://janeflory.blogspot.com/

Some of the covers are ever so cute.