Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Attention span of a goldfi...

Not getting through any books at the moment, which is sad. I want to read something but can't decide.

Have the following three in rotation:

"It's A Boy: Women writers on raising sons" by AJ Buchanan (Ed).
This is a collection of short prose by a variety of types of women (from all girl families, with difficult fathers, women who had suffered from difficulties conceiving etc), with all sorts of pre-conceptions about what having a son would be like (from those who were *sure* they were going to have a girl, those who had father issues...), about a wide variety of boys (those who are afraid of the dark, those who love purple velvet until they get teased about it at school, those who get led astray by the neighbourhood bullies, those who start playing shoot-em-up games despite their parents being pacifists). Interesting book to read in fits and starts.

"Blubberland" by Elizabeth Farrelly
Not sure if I will finish this one. Basically about overconsumption. This is a topic I've thought about deeply for a few years, and don't feel I really need to read about. (Got the book as a freeby at a conference last year. Anyone want it?)

"Up the Duff", by Kaz Cooke
Pregnancy refresher course. Still pretty funny second time around.

Also reading:
"Cosmos" magazine - which is great, and I got a subscription for xmas. Highly recommended. I plan to leave all my old copies in my obstetrician's waiting room, so we don't all have to read pregnancy, house decoration, or golfing magazines (surely other people like science mags too?)

1 comment:

J said...

Ooh I love it! Sneaky guerilla waiting room reading makeovers. I reckon that's a challenge for all of us (I'm thinking of permaculture mags spontaneously appearing in up at heel dentists waiting rooms in north sydney, New Internationalist in Cronulla medical centres, and yoga or health and nutrition magazines in the waiting rooms of psychiatrists... just to round out the mix of perspectives!)